At A Glance
Folk singer-songwriter from Edinburgh
Dates active: 2009 - present
Adam Holmes (also known as Adam Holmes and The Embers) is a folk singer-songwriter, guitarist and vocalist from Edinburgh. One of eight children, he was brought up in Portobello, Edinburgh, and developed his passion for folk music at Sandy Bell's from the age of eight, and was a semi-finalist in the BBC Young Traditional Musician of the Year in 2009. He is a member of The Magpie Arc and Rura. In 2015, he collaborated with Heidi Talbot on her Christmas single, Christmas in September. In 2016, he worked with Martin Green on his album Flit, and accompanied fiddler John McCusker on tour as the featured singer on his Anniversary Tour. He appeared at Celtic Connections in 2017. In 2022, his single Hard Times featured a monologue from Irvine Welsh. He has named Bob Marley, the Dixie Hummingbirds, Mahilia Jackson and Tom Petty as influences.
- Nominated for the Young Folk Award at the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards in 2011.
- Nominated for Album of the Year at the Scots Trad Music Awards in 2016.
- Nominated for the SAY Award in 2017.
...one of the rising stars in contemporary folk music - Arts Reviews Edinburgh
The acclaimed Edinburgh-born singer and songwriter Adam Holmes is one of the brightest stars on the UK roots music scene. An old soul on young shoulders, he combines masterful songwriting and a mellifluous, enchanting voice, mixing traditional and contemporary folk with his own brand of soul and Americana. - Green Note
With his clear and soulful vocal over a sure and steady beat; from the onset we have an indication of the growing confidence in his own ability to write, arrange and produce the music he loves. - Folk Radio
Songs follow covering everything from the drunken waltz feel of ‘Mother Oak’ to the danceability of ‘Alone We Stand’ gives Adam wide appeal and with the band can really turn their hand to just about anything. - IGI.GS
...with each successive release Adam Holmes and the Embers move further from the acoustic/folk beginnings that were a feature of Heirs and Graces, but those influences are still there. What has progressed is Adam’s approach to his music, his flexibility as a song writer, his willingness to mine the rich creativity behind his work and bring to the surface previously unimagined gems - Folk Radio
Dreamweaver is a genuinely touching listen. It is a formidably affecting and potent release. - Folk Radio
Adam Holmes crafts lyrics that resonate like old folk songs, set to melodies rooted in haunting slow airs. - Folk and Honey
|2013||Heirs and Graces||Album|
|2021||If You Ever Needed Me||Single|
|2022||She Belongs To Me||Single|
|2022||Follow Her Anywhere (Radio Mix)||Single|
|2022||Counting on You||Single|
- The Scotsman. 'Album reviews: Shania Twain | Adam Holmes & The Embers | David Crosby | Brix & the Extricated'. https://www.scotsman.com/whats-on/arts-and-entertainment/album-reviews-shania-twain-adam-holmes-embers-david-crosby-brix-extricated-1438396.
- The Skinny. 'Adam Holmes & The Embers – Midnight Milk'. https://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/reviews/albums/adam-holmes-the-embers-midnight-milk.
- Adam Holmes. 'Press Kit'. https://www.adamholmesmusic.co.uk/press-kit.
- YouTube. 'The Magpie Arc - Live At The Silk Mill Studios - Autumn Leaves'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo1lDB4G1Ys.
- Greentrax Recordings. 'Rura - Break It Up'. https://www.greentrax.com/music/product/rura.
- Folk Radio. 'Adam Holmes & The Embers: Brighter Still – Artist of the Month'. https://www.folkradio.co.uk/2016/05/adam-holmes-embers-brighter-still/.
- Hands Up For Trad. 'Celtic Connections 2017 Programme Announced'. https://projects.handsupfortrad.scot/handsupfortrad/celtic-connections-2017-programme-announced/.
- The Courier. 'Adam Holmes on his way, with a nod from Irvine Welsh'. https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/entertainment/3350706/adam-holmes/.
- IGI.GS. 'Adam of Adam Holmes & the Embers – Interview'. https://invernessgigs.co.uk/2017/11/13/adam-holmes-the-embers-interview/.
- BBC Radio 2. 'Radio 2 Folk Awards 2011 - Nominees'. https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/events/folk-awards-2011/nominees/.
- Hands Up For Trad. 'MG ALBA SCOTS TRAD MUSIC AWARDS 2016 SHORTLIST UNVEILED'. https://projects.handsupfortrad.scot/handsupfortrad/mg-alba-scots-trad-music-awards-2016-shortlist-unveiled/.
- Hands Up For Trad. 'Scottish Album of the Year (SAY) Award Longlist Unveiled'. https://projects.handsupfortrad.scot/handsupfortrad/scottish-album-of-the-year-say-award-longlist-unveiled/.